We caught up with Flashmob ahead of their appearance at Talk is Cheap on Saturday 20th October. Here’s what they had to say…
1. Let’s start by finding a little bit about how you first got into music and producing… Where and when did you discover your love for house music and where did it all begin?
We both grew up with music in our heads… Playing instruments and following how sounds evolved through the years… from English and German industrial techno in the 90′s till today. Professionally we started seven years ago and we had three different aliases producing Techno and Progressive and then House on labels going from Renaissance to Global Underground, Monique and Noir.
Last year we had a twist in our sound both on the production side and in our DJ set and so we decided to go with a new name, Flashmob DJs. We spent the last euros we had printing the vinyl of “Brick House” and taking to all the really underground and cool names through Ibiza…
2. What is the one piece of kit that you couldn’t be without in your studio?
I think the most important thing in the studio, as in life, is the attitude… your heart and approach you have, plays a big part.
3. How methodical are you in the studio or do you let your creative side do the talking and things develop naturally?
Creativity comes first and is very important to find out what we want to do… then comes the methodical part.
4. What personal piece of music or remix has stood out for you and why and which do you tend to play the most?
If you mean tracks of ours with no doubt “Ninety Five”. We start a lot of sets with that track and it never fails… obviously “Brick House” and “Need In Me” are always in our sets too, but in easier moments of the night where you know you’ll fire up the club by playing them…
5. What releases and remixes do you have planned for the rest of this year?
We are releasing a new really underground single on Defected at the end of October, Flashmob “Hot”, then a remix of “Ninety Five” coming from Argy on Get Physical Music Berlin, and the rest is a secret for now; we are also giving out some FREE remixes to the fans on our soundcloud; remixes of “Ninety Five” coming from Argy (a second remix he was kind to do) and from new upcoming talented italian duo Dirty Channels.
6. Are you looking forward to coming and playing in London?
Very much so… We always love to play in London because it’s the city were everything started for us and every time the car comes to pick us up at the hotel to go to the venue we look out of the window and talk of when all of this that is happening to us right now was only a dream and how hard it was to get to this point… and we are only at the beginning… it’s a really hard and long way to go to get to the top of this game!
7. What three songs are played most on your iPod?
The Power Of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Depeche Mode – Enjoy The Silence
8. What do you most like to do when away from the studio or gigging?
Alessandro: I like gardening and fast cars
Danny: I like to ride my quad and go fishing
9. Who are you most feeling within the scene at the moment, is there anyone that you’re really keeping an eye on or a particular artist whose sound you are digging right now?
Julien Sandre with Dast and Dirty Channels… and the Dutch Rudder too.
10. Finally what can we at Talk Is Cheap expect from a Flashmob DJ set?
It usually ends up with everyone going BANANAS …is that too presumptuous to say??? We’ll have a good time that is for sure!
Quick fire questions:
Favourite food? We like very simple food… We don’t eat junk or any fusion stuff. We like a simple stake, pasta or Sushi (buy only if it’s very good sushi).
Favourite film? The Godfather
Favourite track of all time? “My Way” by Frank Sinatra
Track you would most like to remix? “To Be In Love” by Masters At Work
Favourite club? Warung in Brazil and Womb in Tokyo
Favourite city? Liverpool
Favourite live artist? AME
Favourite DJ? Carl Craig and Radioslave and Kevin Saunderson